I had the opportunity to attend the first session of General Conference. I had gone with a prayer in my heart. You see, sometimes I still get bitter, horribly bitter about everything. So I was sitting there listening to talk after talk and just not getting much out of anything said. Then Elder Cardon got up. And these words touched me so deeply:
His compassion and grace are the means whereby “in process of time we overcome the world through the enabling power of the Atonement. As we humbly seek this precious gift, “weak things become strong unto [us] and by His strength, we are made able to do that which we could never do alone.
The Lord looks upon the light we have received,the desires of our hearts, and our actions, and when we repent and seek His forgiveness, He forgives. As we consider our own lives and the lives of our loved ones and acquaintances, we should be equally willing to forgive ourselves and others.
Preach My Gospel speaks of the difficulty in overcoming addictive behavior and encourages priesthood leaders and members to “not be shocked or discouraged” if investigators or new members continue to struggle with such problems. Rather, we are counseled to “show confidence in the individual and not be judgmental … [treating] it as a temporary and understandable setback.”Could we do less with our own children or family members who struggle with similar problems, having temporarily strayed from the path of righteousness? Surely they merit our steadiness, patience, and love—and yes, our forgiveness.
In general conference just last October, President Monson counseled:
“We need to bear in mind that people can change. They can put behind them bad habits. They can repent from transgressions.…
“… We can help them to overcome their shortcomings. We must develop the capacity to see men not as they are at present but as they may become.”
I just love that. Absolutely love it! I know that I need to reach a point where I fully forgive my husband, I need to fully let go of the past and embrace the future. These words gave me so much hope. I am so grateful for our church leaders and for a Heavenly Father who loves and looks after us. I have been praying for weeks for some words to comfort by bitterness and this was exactly what I needed to hear.
No comments:
Post a Comment