My entire life I imagined having my own fairytale. I wanted Prince Charming to sweep me off my feet and live happily ever after. It has taken me a long time to realize fairy tales aren't missing glass slippers, being awoken from near death by kisses, or being saved from a tower. There usually aren't fireworks or white horses. The reality is that it is usually late nights just talking, holding hands for the first time, and then that first kiss.
For the first few months after the hubs and I got back together I really struggled. I wanted my fairy tale. Why did I not have it? Where was my happily ever after? Didn't I deserve that? What did I do to deserve all this?
Then one day I started to realize I do have a fairy tale, a real one, one that doesn't involve slippers or evil fairies who plan my death. I have a husband who loved me enough to change, to not give up on me. Even when I had thrown in the towel and called it quits he did not give up on me. I was worth it to him. I have children with him, children who we both love and adore, and at the end of the day I get to kiss him good night and go to sleep. That is a fairy tale, folks.
A fairytale is fighting for each other and never giving in, being willing to turn our lives around to make someone else (as well as ourselves) happy. It is late nights of hair holding when your spouse is sick and early mornings when the kids wake up. It watching a sun set together or sitting on your porch at night and looking up at the heavens. It is messy diapers at 1 AM and arguments over how to properly squeeze the toothpaste. It is riding in a car together with the windows down and singing. It is long nights beside your spouse at the hospital and long hours spent helping your spouse study for a test. It is knowing that no matter what someone loves you, has a home with you, and wants to be with you for time and all eternity. That is a love story. Leave behind Cinderella and Prince Charming. At the end of the day it is Plain ol' Jack and Jane.
I love my fairy tale. It is unique, it is mine, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. In my wildest dreams, I never expected this crazy ride, but I have it and it is worth it. I am learning to fight for, love, and cherish every moment, because it is worth it.
Keep Fighting Ladies.
Casilda
No comments:
Post a Comment